OrderPaperToday – Unless something urgent is done, the mobilisation of 2016 Batch A, Stream 2 Corps members for the compulsory national service slated for Friday may not happen.

This is because fund is yet to be made available to the National Youths Service Corps (NYSC).

This alarm was raised by Director General of the NYSC, Brig. Gen. Sulyman Kazaure who told the Senate Committee on Sports and Youths Development in Abuja on Monday that the money required for the exercise was yet to be released.

Kazaure said even after the NYSC had written several letters requesting for fund for the exercise, the scheme was yet to hear from the Federal Government.

According to him, letters had been written to the Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports, Finance, Budget and the Presidency even before the the orientation camp for Batch A stream one ended this week.

He said: “We are presently at a loss in NYSC now as there is no money for us to mobilize thousands of prospective Corp members  in the Batch A stream 2 to  camp this Friday.

“This is despite efforts made by us to get things done in that direction several weeks ago. The problem staring us in the face arose from the N13billion shortfall we had in the 2016 budget estimates which the agency made strong request for its provision during budget Defence.”

The DG however disclosed that Chief of Staff to President Muhammadu Buhari had invited the Minister of Sports and Youths Development, Solomon Dalong, over the matter.

In his remark, Chairman of the Committee Sen. Obinna Ogba (PDP Ebonyi Central) assured the NYSC DG of the intervention of the Senate.

“NYSC is not something to joke with. Even if is through urgent supplementary budget provisions , the problem must be quickly tackled by the Federal Government”, the senator said.

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here