OrderPaperToday – The House of Representatives Committee on Works has threatened to demand the revocation of the Abuja-Kaduna road contract due to lack of capacity in the execution of the project by the Contractors, Julius Berger PLC.

The committee said it might be forced to ask the government to re-award the contract to other contractors to ensure that the project is completed within the life span of the President Muhammdu Buhari government.

The committee expressed disappointment with the pace of work on the project nine months to the expiration of the deadline for its completion.

The committee members were particularly disappointed that after about 27 months since the commencement of work, only less than 10 percent has been done leaving work 90% undone.

Chairman of the House Committee on Works, Mr. Abubakar Kabir Abubakar (APC, Kano), who spoke on the progress of work so far carried out while inspecting the project as part of the Committee’s oversight function, however told the contractor that the company must deliver by May 2021 which is the terminal date for the contract.

He said that the House will not accept any extension of the completion date or a variation of the project, adding that it was disappointing that with only nine months left on the contract, there is no satisfactory progress on the work.

However, the North Central Zonal Director of Works in the Federal Ministry of Works, Mr. Kunle Yusuf, told the Committee that 40 percent of the work on section one of the project (Abuja-Kaduna) covering about 62 kilometres has been completed. Section one of the Project is said to be about 165 kilometers.

Mr. Kabir further said in spite of the lack of funding for the project as attested to by the contractor, Julius Berger has not shown any form of seriousness in completing the project saying “N155 billion is no small money”.

He said if the company lacks the capacity to deliver the project on schedule, it should be revoked and re-awarded to several other companies so that it will be completed on schedule.

He said as a result of the delay in completing the project, several lives have been lost on the road, adding that “we cannot continue to lose lives on this road”.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here